Thursday, October 14, 2010

Holy FAIL, Batman!

Sorry it's been awhile. Life's been.. Interesting here, to say the least. I suppose I should start from the beginning (although I feel like everything here blends together.. Wibbly, wobbly, timey-wimey and all that).
1)Bonnie and I are legal! We still have to get our cards (I think we're going tomorrow), but we're legal until next year sometime! And we did it all by ourselves! Go us! :D It actually took far less time and we were super successful.
2) School. Oh, school. For the most part, I'm still having a great time and loving every minute of it, especially my classes with Joss. We have a great time and we work well together, which makes things much, much easier. It's the other teacher that I have problems with. Don't get me wrong, I get along with her just as well as I do with Joss and I'm learning from her as well (apparently I have a gypsy accent..?). The problem comes when we're at school. I do absolutely nothing. No. Thing. And neither does she. She continually tells me that she's "floja" (lazy) and proves it. Her favorite thing to do (or not do) is to sit in her chair while she's writing on the board. O.O The two jobs I had in the classroom (writing on the board and pressing 'play' on the CD player, have been taken by her (she doesn't want the students to get confused..?). For the last two weeks of classes, I've literally sat and played games on my phone or my computer.
The bad part about it is that we've talked about how I don't do anything. Her response? "I don't want the students to get too confused and you use a lot of English when you teach." WELL DUH! IT'S AN ENGLISH CLASS!!! What else am I supposed to do?! But then I remember: she conducts her classes almost entirely in Spanish; when the tests come around, the students do badly and then she gets mad and wonders why. I EFFIN' WONDER. Ugh. Despite this, I'm still trying to be positive. The fact is that, while I'm not doing much teaching (or much of anything, for that matter), I am learning a lot of classroom Spanish which will (hopefully) be helpful in the future. I'm also learning how not to work with students who are at different levels/learn differently. Positive.
The light at the end of the tunnel is that each time I'm forced to work with this teacher, I get at least one class with Joss afterward. This makes my days much, much better. :)
3) I'm coming to find that I really do like little kids. Sure, they still scare the crap out of me (I don't think I'll ever get used to having them swarm me when I get to school), but they're cute... In their own way. My favorite part is how, when I work with them, they remember what we've worked on. That makes me feel that, when I'm actually allowed to do the teaching thing, I do an alright job. That makes me happy. All of you who know me know how I like to be happy. :)
4) Alright, I suppose I should get to the whole "Holy FAIL, Batman!" part of this so you can get on with your life. It's simple. Just one word, really. Money. We're wrapping up week 12 and we have yet to get paid. Let me repeat that. We're wrapping up WEEK 12 and we have yet to get paid. Although most everyone has been taking money from home (NOT ME), we're all sick of it. Without money, we can't do much of anything like travel, buy stuff that we want, or just plain be independent. It wouldn't be so bad if EOD wouldn't've lied to us at every single turn. First, we were supposed to have money around the 19th of September. Then it was the first week in October. Then it was October 12th. Now it's next week. Whatthefuckever. I'm over it. Well, I'm still enraged and am planning on burning their offices to the ground, but, I'm over it.

Well, I think I've written for long enough. :) If you want to know more, comment and ask me. You can also head on over to the Spanish blog (carainternacional.blogspot.com), follow me on Twitter (twitter.com/minimightymouse), or hit me up on Fbook. Wow, I wonder if I could fit any more shameless self-plugs in there. ;)

Love you all tremendously.
Cb.

P.S. FUERZA MINERO! CHI! CHI! CHI! LE! LE! LE! LOS MINEROS DE CHILE!

No comments:

Post a Comment