Saturday, August 7, 2010

First Week Done? Check!

Hey all!

So my first week here in Salamanca is officially over! :( It was a whirlwind (this is, honestly, the first time that I've truly sat down since arriving on Monday), but I've loved it. :D I suppose I should start at the beginning, especially for those of you who don't/can't read the Spanish blog (carainternacional.blogspot.com [shameless self plug!]).
A little bit of background on what I'll be doing here/where here is:
I'm in Salamanca, Chile. It's a town of about 25K people but it feels no bigger than Guernsey, which is probably because there are absolutely no buildings that have more than two floors. Super odd. Anyway - I'll be teaching 10 different classes of students during the four months that I'm here. The 10 classes are made up of students from the 5th-8th grades (5-8 in two schools, 5/6 in one, and 5 in the other). Finally, I have a family with a mom (Maria Jose), dad (Carlos) and little sister (Maite) along with three dogs (Bruno, Perla, and Upa) and a woman who helps around the house (Carolina, who is a riot). :) Still with me? Good. Let's start:
Bonnie and I arrived on Monday around lunch time (1:PM). We thought we were going to be together but we both got whisked off by our respective families/teachers. I got taken to lunch at what I found out is a restaurant/hotel owned by my family. (Later, I came to find out that my parents [and, in some cases, parts of their families] own nearly everything in/around Salamanca. Seriously.) After a hugely filling lunch, I was off to one of the four schools (yes, that's right, four) that I'll be teaching at. I got to meet all of the teachers, students, and staff (WAY TOO MANY NAMES) and helped Yocelyn with the 5th graders. :D After school got done, I sat through a teacher's meeting at this school, which was hilarious to say the least. Unlike in the US, the agenda means nothing. Sure, the conversation occasionally strayed to what was written on the board, but most of the time, it was just teachers/admin, exchanging stories about EVERYTHING. Literally everything. Massive lolz. :) Anyway, after school got let out, Maria Jose brought me home to drop my bag off and then we were off to the super (grocery store). She told me over and over how relieved she was that I spoke Spanish (she knows "hello" "how are you?" "yes/no" and "thank you") and continued to talk to me about everything and everyone. Oh, and I forgot to mention that they know EVERYONE in Salamanca. This meant that our shopping trip was actually a "let's have everyone meet Cara" trip. So much hugging and so many kisses! After our adventure at the store we got home just in time to have dinner (roughly 7:PM). Maria Jose, Carlos, and I sat at the table talking until around 11. Then, I finally got to unpack (and may I say, not living out of a suitcase rocks SHIT) and then hit the hay. And that was just Day One, folks.
Tuesday and Wednesday I was with a new teacher (Debora) in a new school (Tahuinco). It's a ten minute commute through a crazy beautiful part of this tiny valley. When we got there on Tuesday, I felt like a zoo animal; everyone stared. Then, after a few seconds, they all came up for hugs and kisses (the normal "hi how are ya" here) and then the questions started. "Who are you?" "What's your name?" "How do you say 'snow' in English?" Lord. But it was adorable and I loved it. Every. Freakin'. Second. :D At 8:AM, we started classes (7th graders). Next, I was supposed to watch an 8th grade class, but the principal decided that the kids needed to have a ping pong tournament instead. For the next hour or so, we all sat outside, drank tea, ate cookies, and watched kids play ping pong. :) Finally, I ended Tuesday with 6th graders, who were adorable and SO excited! Wednesday was pretty similar except that I was able to meet/watch the 8th graders (all six of them) and I ended the day with extremely hyper-active, noisy 5th graders. :)
Thursday and Friday I was back with Yocelyn in a new school (Chalinga). These kids are all so freakin' adorable it makes me sick. As soon as we walked in the door, they all wanted hugs and kisses and answers. Then, they took all of our stuff and carried it to the room, putting it all away at the front like pros. It was like having concierge service only creepier (the whole having people do stuff for me creeps me out. I guess I'm too independent or something...). Much like everywhere else, these kids were extremely excited (if a little nervous) to have me there. On Friday we had our English Network meeting (basically, an excuse for food and talking) where I got to see Bonnie. :) She was sick, but it was good to see her!! :D We're going to go walking around after I get lunch today (yay!!). :)
Anyway, I think that's about it. I've gotta go have empanadas now. :D

LOVES!!
Cb.

P.S. I promise I'll post pictures soon! If I don't, you can either beat me, or check them out on Facebook. Chao! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment